Wednesday, February 25, 2009

There were 3 particular UNK events that I wanted to discuss

1. Chartwells Contract! I just really think that it is crazy that Chartwells doesn't allow donated food to be brought in on campus for special events. I understand that Chartwells wants first dibs on catoring but what about the food from area businesses that organizations are getting for free! Pizzas, Jimmy Johns, hot dogs, non pepsi products and other items are constantly being donated for campus events and Chartwells throws a fit?! Not okay!

2. Another issue that I happen to be a part of is the right for the UNK cheerleaders to be able to stunt. Stunting has been a part of cheerleading for many years and is a crucial part of the sport. It's like playing basketball without a hoop. It's impossible! Our debate is that we feel like we are beyond just yelling "GO BIG BLUE" on the sidelines. It was a hard battle between the administration at UNK and the cheerleading squad.

3. Finally, the last issue I would like to talk about is the issue of textbooks. Textbooks are rediculously priced. We all know, that now that Follets is closed there is only one place to buy our books other than online. I don't know about anyone else but when I go in to the bookstore on campus I feel as if they are ripping me off. I feel this way especially when I go to sell a book back and I can only get $4 for it or half the time we get told that they are buying new editions. Honestly, how are we to know if that's the truth or not. I just wish the bookstore would be more affordable and professors would also consider our financial situation before requiring a $140 book that we only open twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment