Sunday, March 1, 2009

get used to it!

Already in a panic, I start pacing up and down the rows in my little two-door car searching for a parking spot, knowing that if I hit the wrong time of day I was destined for a parking ticket. Those little expired stickers placed at the corner of my windshield wouldn't stop those uniformed and unarmed people we call "campus police" from slipping a ten or fifteen dollar ticket under my wiper. I am a parking ticket professional, if you will. I have seen several of those white tickets flapping in the wind on the outside of my car as I drive away from any parking lot on campus but honestly, it's my own fault. Parking here can, indeed,be frustrating especially when more parking permits are sold than there are parking spots. Even when I lived in the dorms and had a valid parking permit, parking on a random Tuesday afternoon was impossible. There were times where I parked a block away from my dorm just because there wasn't anywhere else to go. I understand that parking is an issue at any college or university. Finding that much room for thousands of students to park has to be impossible, I'm sure. I personally don't make parking here at UNK a huge issue. Sure, it can be upsetting when you're running late for class and all you need is a parking spot. Or when you slide that dime into the parking meter just because you are only going to be a minute in the bookstore buying a pack of pencils and the line for the registers is wrapped around the entire store. After waiting in line for over 45 minutes you return to your car, only to find public safety standing outside your vehicle right as your meter is expired. I get it. I completely understand. I've been in several situations where getting a parking ticket was the last thing I needed in my day. But why complain till the cows come home? People throwing fits about having to walk a block to class is a little rediculous. Especially if people understand and take a look at where our campus is located. Our university's location doesn't provide very many possibilities for more parking. Sure now with Follets being closed, more parking may open up but what's the big deal. I think people are lazy and aren't realizing the facts. The fact is, it's probably never going to get better. Purchase a bike or wear more comfortable shoes and head out a few minutes earlier. That advice is all I can give those who want something done about the parking on campus. It's not going to happen! Until something miraculous happens and more parking becomes available get used to parking on the street and make sure you're not in the yellow!

1 comment:

  1. I have a permit, but ride my bike when I can. It's a great way to play while I'm claiming to be green. (I don't really care about the environmental part - I just like riding my bike to campus.)

    ReplyDelete